Maritime News

Vessel Backlog Grows as Baltimore Channel is Closed After Vessel Explosion

The U.S. Coast Guard is leading the investigation into the explosion and fire aboard the bulker W-Sapphire last night in Baltimore harbor. As of midday on Tuesday, August 19, the Fort McHenry Federal Channel remains closed while plans for the vessel are finalized. A backlog of vessels is building.

AIS signals show at least 10 large vessels holding south of the harbor in the northern reaches of the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis, Maryland. It includes MSC Mediterranean Shipping Company and CMA CGM containerships, as well as bulkers and two vehicle carriers that are currently unable to proceed into Baltimore. There are other ships at the Dundalk and Sparrows Point terminals in Baltimore.

The Port of Baltimore is advising that it will be the U.S. Coast Guard that “will determine when the channel can safely reopen, as well as the timing of vessel arrivals and departures.”

The W-Sapphire (81,681 dwt) remains anchored in the channel. Several McAllister tugs are standing by the vessel. Built in 2012, the vessel is registered in Liberia and managed from Greece. In February 2025, the vessel was cited for issues with fire safety by the Australians during a Port State inspection, and in May, it received 11 deficiencies during an expanded inspection in Spain. It was cited for issues ranging from the gyro and magnetic compass to fire safety and crew welfare, but the vessel was not detained.

The Baltimore Fire Department reports it responded to the vessel last night and assisted with the firefight below deck. They said the fire was extinguished, but there are visible signs of damage both from the explosion and the subsequent fire. During the radio communication, the vessel said it was taking water into its number two hold after the explosion but was afloat and still underway.

 

 

The Coast Guard said that there were 23 crewmembers and two pilots aboard the bulker as it departed the terminal and was outbound to Africa. They are reporting that there were no injuries to the people aboard and that damage was limited to the vessel. The Coast Guard established a 2,000-yard safety zone around the incident location, spanning from the Key Bridge to Brewerton Angle Channel LB “14”.

Following the explosion aboard the W-Sapphire, members of the Baltimore County Police Department’s Marine Team assisted in securing a perimeter around the vessel Monday night. The department released the audio from the Marine Channel in the moments after the explosion as everyone was trying to determine what was occurring.

The first report of the incident was received from a distress call via VHF channel 16 at approximately 6:30 p.m. local time. The vessel clearly says that it was reporting a coal explosion. The second pilot stepped in to manage the communication from the vessel as the crew was working to stop the vessel and control the unfolding situation, including the fire.

The Coast Guard is expected to make a further statement during the day. So far, no timeline has been released for when the port would reopen.
 

maritime-executive

Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button